Djarts COVID Safe Plan for inStudio Sessions
Last Updated: July 29, 2020
Presently, ALL LESSONS are being conducted online ONLY. We continue to monitor the COVID-19 pandemic closely (specifically pertaining to Brisbane, Queensland Australia) and we will announce the opening of the Djarts Teaching Studio space when we know that we can implement the Djarts COVID Safe Plan effectively. The information provided below the line has been prepared for when we do reopen the studio space.
Currently, we HIGHLY RECOMMEND receiving your singing lessons online. Still, where this is not desirable to the student, we have prepared a list of non-negotiable inStudio guidelines and procedures designed to keep both student and teacher safe.
The context of this non-restricted[i] COVID Safe Plan is for the Djarts studio located at 40 Kildare Street, Carina Heights Queensland. The studio is an airconditioned space and is 4m x 4.5m with a high vaulted ceiling.
The Djarts COVID Safe Plan accounts for the possible emission and spread of the COVID-19 virus through droplet and aerosol dispersion. It is important to note that singing has been shown to generate higher levels of both droplet and aerosol, and therefore requires due diligence in response to the heightened risk of infection when singing close to other people. Due to the nature of the novel virus, COVID-19, and the current non-existence of a vaccine, Djarts and Dr Dan are employing a mitigation strategy in keeping with the suppression objectives presently being implemented by the Queensland and Australian governments.
The guidelines and procedures listed below should be considered as ‘in addition to’ the regular Terms and Conditions that all students agree to when receiving lessons from Djarts and Dr Dan. It is, therefore, an additional condition of entry to the Djarts studio that the following guidelines and procedures are adhered to:
If you have cold/flu-like symptoms or you feel unwell, or you are uncertain, DO NOT arrive for an inStudio lesson. Symptoms might include, but are not restricted to:
- Dry Cough
- Aches and Pains
- Loss of taste or smell
- A rash on the skin, or discolouration of fingers or toes.
If you have any of these symptoms, seek immediate medical attention. Be assured that if Dr Dan, or one of his immediate family who also resides at 40 Kildare Street, exhibit any of the above symptoms, your lesson will be either cancelled or switched to an online session.
Remember, it is easy to change your lesson to an online session if you are uncertain about your health. While 24hrs notice is required to cancel a lesson, you are permitted to change the delivery mode of your lesson from inStudio to Online right up until the scheduled start time of your session.
If at any time your local area is declared a ‘hotspot’ by the Queensland Government, you must notify Dr Dan, and your lesson will be switched to an online session.
ENTRY TO STUDIO
- Students will be asked if they have been in contact with anyone who is currently ill or has recently travelled interstate or overseas.
- All students will be screened upon entry (outside the studio) with a temperature check. Any student whose temperature is 37.5 degrees Celsius or above will not be permitted to enter the studio and will forfeit their lesson time.
- You will be asked whether you have the CovidSafe app installed and active on your mobile device. We encourage visitors to download and use the CovidSafe app. The CovidSafe app is used in-studio and remains active all the time.
IN THE STUDIO
- ONLY 1 person (the student) will be permitted into the studio space with Dr Dan.
- Upon entry to the studio space, students will be required to clean their hands with supplied alcohol-based hand sanitiser. Antiseptic wipes will also be available for students to use at their own discretion.
- We reserve the right to cancel any lesson and remove anyone from the studio where the student displays persistent COVID-like symptoms.
- Please bring a FULL Water Bottle with you.
- Dr Dan will tell the student where to stand and which way to face when singing.
- We have installed a Philips Series 3000 Air Purifier with Vitashield IPS and Aerasense technology. This technology is designed to remove ultrafine particles as small as 0.02um. This does not kill bacteria or virus; however, we have chosen to employ air filtration as a part of our infection mitigation strategy.
- The studio microphones will not be used during lessons. Students are permitted to bring their own microphones for use during sessions if they wish.
- All learning materials, including Lesson Sheets and exercise tracks, will be emailed to the student. No hard copy printing will be offered.
- inStudio Lessons will not be recorded.
- While toilet amenities are available, it is preferred that these not be used.
BENEFITS OF REMAINING ONLINE
- As previously stated, we would prefer, at this stage of the pandemic, that the majority of students continue to receive their singing lessons online. This preference is partly driven by the location of the studio, also being our private residence.
- Dr Dan is an Australian industry leader in Online Singing Lesson delivery. This means that there is virtually no difference between receiving your singing lessons online with Dr Dan when compared to inStudio. Typically, the main educational difference is the student’s ability to practice repertoire while using a studio microphone, but this is a moot point right now because we are not permitting the use of the studio microphones due to the nature of droplet dispersion of the virus.
- Currently, for most people, we would suggest that online lessons are far less hassle of you, the student. There is no travel time, and there are virtually no cleanliness procedures to adhere to when you receive your online lessons at home.
After an inStudio lesson has been completed, where appropriate, studio surfaces will be disinfected, and the room aired to help reduce the potential for harmful virus spread. While every precaution is taken to ensure your safety while visiting the Djarts Teaching Studio, students entering the studio do so at their own risk, knowing and understanding that until the world has access to a widely distributed and administered COVID-19 vaccine, there is no possible way for Djarts and Dr Dan to guarantee that the studio is one-hundred per cent free from the virus.
We will continue to update our student cohort as new information comes to hand. We ask that you continue to monitor this page for updates. As always, please don’t hesitate to email us or call the studio on +617 3398 6758 if you wish to discuss or query the Djarts COVID Safe Plan.
Stay safe and sing well!
[i] The singing teaching industry in Queensland does not have an ‘industry-specific’ COVID Safe Plan. Therefore, we have constructed this ‘non-restricted’ COVID Safe Plan in accordance with the Queensland Government’s Chief Health Officer’s Public Health Directions: Restrictions on Businesses, Activities and Undertakings Direction (No. 5). Point thirteen of the legislation under the heading of Non-Restricted Businesses, Activities and Undertakings states that “A business, activity or undertaking that is not listed in this Direction may operate as normal, with physical distancing observed and subject to any other applicable Public Health Directions.”